Myrtle, MS (June 07, 2022) – On Tuesday, May 31st, a vehicle crash left one person with fatal injuries in Union County.
The collision occurred at about 8:30 p.m. on Highway 349 in Myrtle.
Mississippi Highway Patrol Troopers stated that the victim, 54-year-old Saltillo resident Marla Harshberger, was critically injured when the car in which she was riding left the roadway and plowed into a tree.
Harshberger was transferred by emergency medics to the North Mississippi Medical Facility in Tupelo. She was pronounced dead a short while later.
No additional details have been released.
This accident remains under police investigation.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased victim, Ms. Marla Harshberger, at this time.
Bringing a Wrongful Death Claim in Mississippi
In Mississippi, a claim of wrongful death can only be filed by some of the deceased’s family members, including:
- Surviving sisters and brothers
- Surviving parents and children
- Surviving wives and husbands
- The personal representative of the decedent’s estate
Frequently, wrongful death claims are brought by the deceased’s spouse. In the event that the couple has surviving children, any compensation granted would be divided equitably among the surviving child/children and spouse.
In a Mississippi wrongful death case, the claimants could be awarded monetary recovery for two different types of damages: economic and non-economic.
- Economic damages: Economic damages are intended to indemnify the deceased’s family for quantifiable, calculable losses. These losses may include medical bills the victim incurred prior to their passing, funeral and burial expenses or the expense of cremation, lost wages and other earnings, and damage to property.
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages are designed to act as financial compensation for intangible losses that are much harder to assign a dollar value to, like the pain and suffering the deceased experienced leading up to their death, mental anguish, and loss of consortium if there is a surviving spouse.
The forms and amount of compensation you are ultimately awarded will vary based on the exact circumstances of your unique case. The best way to calculate the value of a wrongful death claim is to ask an experienced lawyer.
Note: These posts are generated solely for MW Law Firm -Mama Justice. The facts and information utilized to create these posts were collected and gathered through the use of secondary sources. We use various news organizations, newspaper articles, police accident reports, police blotters, social media platforms, as well as, first-hand eyewitness accounts about accidents that happen in and around Northern Mississippi. We have not independently verified all reported facts in our posts. If you locate any information that is not correct, please contact our firm immediately so that we can update the post with the most accurate information available. If you would like to have this post removed from our site, please contact us immediately. We will do our best to remove it as soon as possible.
Disclaimer: We have worked hard to become valued members of the Northern Mississippi business community. We write these posts to bring awareness to the dangers of driving in hopes that our fellow community members will use an abundance of caution when operating a motor vehicle. The information in this post is not intended to be medical or legal advice. The photographs used in this post are not taken at the actual accident scene.